Finance Department Internship Programme 2022-2023 Government of Tamil Nadu
Sound fiscal policy combined with effective welfare spending is paramount for any state’s economic stability and prosperity. Forming the backbone of a state’s development, financial stability, and good governance, the role of the Finance department in any State, directly or indirectly, extends to all the schemes, policy initiatives, and day-to-day functioning of the government. Given the complexities and challenges policymakers face in effective utilization of taxpayers’ money besides prudent fiscal management, it is imperative that the knowledge pool of stakeholders in the process be widened to maximize the Department’s stated objectives. Towards this, the Finance Department, Government of Tamil Nadu, has introduced the “Internship Programme.” It aims to harness the talent of young students and researchers in the field of Economics, Finance, Law, Commerce, Management, Information Technology, and Statistics, giving them solid exposure to the functioning of the department and contributing to the same through diligent and scholarly research work. Bharathidasan Institute of Management, Tiruchirappalli, will be the academic partner for this programme.
The objectives of this internship per G.O. (D) No.301 dated 16.12.2021 are as follows:
- Short-term exposure for selected candidates in the Department of Finance, Government of Tamil Nadu
- Opportunity for selected candidates to enhance their academic knowledge
- Opportunity for selected candidates to know about Government functioning and developmental policy issues
Roles and Responsibilities:
The interns are expected to engage in meaningful research and analysis through this internship program, contributing to crucial department functions such as budget formulation and policy initiatives.
Their potential responsibilities include:
- Collecting, analyzing, and presenting data in support of policy priorities
- Critically evaluate various expenditures in support of robust fiscal management
- Scholastic researching and summarizing academic literature and news pertinent to various schematic areas
- Attending and reporting on relevant Legislative hearings, official meetings, and conferences in and outside government.
- Engaging with Department of Finance officials and other Tamil Nadu government agencies/departments on relevant matters.
- Support organizing high-level meetings and conferences
- Provide research and analytical support in budget formulation
A total of up to 20 interns will be selected after a rigorous selection process and will be placed in different areas of the Finance Department: (i) Tamil Nadu Infrastructure Development Board, (ii) Annual Budget, (iii) Central and State Finance Commissions, (iv) Externally Aided Projects, (v) Tamil Nadu Transparency in Tender Act and Rules – Procurement Procedures, (vi) Resources, (vii) Loans, (viii) Audit, (ix) Treasury Functions.
Duration and Stipend:The internship will be for a period of one year (a minimum of six months) with a monthly remuneration of Rs.20000.00. No additional financial assistance will be provided.
Post-graduates/students pursuing doctoral programmes in majors including Economics, Finance, Law, Commerce, Management, Information Technology, and Statistics. Candidates must have attained at least distinction (75% or a CGPA of 7.5) in their post-graduate degree. Candidates with a Ph.D. degree are preferred. In addition, the candidate must have a working knowledge of Tamil.
Age Limit: The age of the applicant shall be between 22 – 30 years at the time of application. For candidates belonging to SC/ST category, the maximum age limit shall be 35 years, and for candidates belonging to BC/MBC category, it shall be 33 years.
Selection Process:Stage 1: Online Assessment (Computer-Based Test) Stage 2: Personal Interview
- The Online Assessment will be a computer-based test (CBT) of objective type (multiple choice questions) and carry a maximum of 100 points. Candidates will be tested in three sections: (1) Quantitative Reasoning (to assess basic math skills, such as algebra, numbers, geometry, statistics, and data interpretation at the level of tenth grade) (2) Verbal Comprehension and Logical Reasoning (to assess a candidate’s comprehension and communication skills, analytical ability, decision-making, and problem-solving skills, and general mental ability) and (3) General Awareness and Economic Affairs. There will be negative grading (-0.33 points for every incorrect answer). The test centers will be in major cities in Tamil Nadu, Delhi, and Mumbai. The availability of test centers is subject to change.
- Personal Interview will be conducted by a panel of experts, including domain specialists, to test the candidate’s suitability, intellectual quality, research potential, and caliber. The final merit list will be based on the combined score from the Online Assessment and Personal Interview.
The online applications can be filled on the web portal www.bim.edu/tnfdinternship. The last date for receiving the online applications is July 01, 2022. There is no application fee. Detailed instructions on filling out the application form are provided on the portal.
For any application form-related queries: firstname.lastname@example.org
Upon induction, the selected interns will undergo a two-day orientation programme jointly organized by the Bharathidasan Institute of Management, Tiruchirappalli, and the Finance Department, Government of Tamil Nadu. Subsequently, the selected interns will be placed in the nine areas of the department.
In case of selection for any other internship/fellowship/paid assignment/examination by a public body during the tenure of this internship, the candidate would be required to tender resignation from the internship with a 30-day prior notice. This internship is a temporary position and does not confer upon the intern any right/claim for regular appointment or continuance in any post.
The internship is liable to cancellation in case of i) Misconduct, ii) Unsatisfactory progress, iii) Candidate is later found to be ineligible, iv) Candidate is already availing a similar internship from any other sources, v) false information furnished by the applicant or any fraudulent activity by the intern.
Dates are subject to change. Please make sure to visit the internship webpage www.bim.edu/tnfdinternship for current dates.
All applications are due at 6:00 P.M., July 01, 2022.
|June 24, 2022
|July 01, 2022
|Download e-ticket for examination
|July 08, 2022
|Date of Online Assessment
|July 16, 2022
|Date of Personal Interview
|July 3rd week
|Commencement of Internship
|August 1st week